Geophysical Investigation For Geotechnical Application
If you work for:
- Irish local or national government
- A property developer
- A consulting engineer
- A mineral exploration company…
Or any other type of business that drills or digs below ground - you need reliable and actionable geophysical surveys to help make important decisions.
Minerex Geophysics can be of help to you.
Our ground investigations use instruments that determine the natural forces of the earth and measurable properties of rocks, soils and sediments to build up a picture of what’s below ground level.
Combined with GPS data, our subsurface readings can assess suitability of sites for many uses before physical ground investigations start.
We contribute to new projects from the preliminary desk-based study onwards, helping your planning engineers with data on subsurface geology and parameters:
- Type of Overburden and Rock
- Thickness of Peat and Overburden and other Layers
- Depth to Rock
- Strength, Stiffness or Compaction of Overburden Materials
- Determination of Small Strain Shear Modulus
- Estimation of Rock Quality
- Existence of Faults or Fracture Zones
- Karst (Geohazard)
- Natural & Man-Made Cavities
- Slope Stability
And once a site is approved for further development, geophysical data plays a key role in optimising drilling and digging plans and schedules for the project.
This method of preliminary investigation and staged mobilisation helps to create and maintain more accurate budgets and schedules, reducing the risks and costs of engineering projects.
A geophysical survey can provide significant benefits to almost any site investigation - and Minerex Geophysics can get a team on site almost anywhere in Ireland, and a clear actionable report produced with a surprisingly fast turnaround time.
Geotechnical Application Measurements
Survey Plan Grid
Commercial Land & Resource Development
Retail and Private Construction – Shopping Centres, Housing Developments, Brownfield Sites
Power stations, Geothermal installations & Wind farms - Example: Ground Investigation of Cable Routes for SSE Galway Wind Park
Gas & Oil Industry - Example: Survey of river crossings for GNI pipeline to Great Island
Quarry Developments – Sand and Gravel Pits, Rock Quarries
Geophysical reports are used to optimise the location of trial pits and bore holes for geotechnical engineering.
These physical inspections will yield further data to check against your expectations, and develop your project plans to the next phase.
When you have a project to discuss, we’re ready to help and we’ll have some questions for you…
Some of the following information will be useful to help us assess what types of investigation are needed:
- Purpose of the project?
- Project time frames?
- Suspected nature and potential size of sub-surface features being investigated?
- Land ownership and site access?
- Size, shape and features of survey area?
- Site / survey location map available?
- Ground cover? (e.g. pasture, ploughed, seeded, standing crop, de-sodded, gravel, tarmac...)
For urgent issues, you can call us at